Manchester City vs Southampton match preview
Manchester City will be playing host to Southampton at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday in a Premier League encounter. Pep Guardiola’s men suffered a 2-0 loss at home to Manchester United on Sunday, meaning the defeat ended their 28-game unbeaten run.
Bruno Fernandes scored from the spot after United was awarded a penalty after just 33 seconds. The Citizens continued to push for an equalizer but all in vain as fullback Luke Shaw scored a beautiful goal in the second half to hand his side all the three points.
Meanwhile, Southampton ended their four-game winless run after beating struggling Sheffield United 2-0 over the weekend.
- Southampton have kept two clean sheets in their last eight matches in all competitions.
- The Citizens have only suffered a single defeat in their last 28 matches in all competitions.
- Pep Guardiola’s men have managed to keep three clean sheets in their last eight matches in all competitions.
- City have won 10 of their last 11 home matches against Southampton in all competitions.
- The hosts have scored at least 2 goals in 10 of their last 11 home matches against Southampton in all competitions.
- Southampton have registered only four away wins in the Premier League this season.
- City has lost only a single game in the Premier League when playing at home.
Manchester City vs Southampton Head to Head
These two teams have severally and in the last six meetings, City have beaten Southampton six times while losing once.
In the first leg of this season, City beat Soton 1-0 thanks to Raheem Sterling’s first-half strike.
Manchester City Team News
City almost have a full squad heading to the clash with Nathan Ake already having resumed training last week.
Southampton Team News
The visitors will miss the services of Danny Ings who picked up a muscle injury during his side’s victory over Sheffield United. The striker is set to be on the sidelines for at least four weeks.
Michael Obafemi, Oriol Romeu, William Smallbone, and Theo Walcott are all on the sidelines nursing injuries.
Manchester City vs Southampton Prediction
City have now to start from zero in making yet again another unbeaten record after United spoiled their progress on Sunday evening. This will be a huge clash for City who will be targeting to bounce back and get back to winning ways.
Goals – Over 2.5
In the last two matches, the two teams have produced less than three goals but this is expected to be a different team after the weekend loss. City will run riot and we expect more than three goals to be produced.
Wednesday Multi Bets
Liverpool – RB Leipzig
Tip: Over 2.5
Paris Saint-Germain – Barcelona
Tip: Both teams to score / Over 2.5
Sporting Braga – Vitória SC
Tip: Braga win
Brisbane Roar – Perth Glory
Tip: Both teams to score
Sydney FC – Western United
Tip: Over 1.5
Football analyst! Biggest fan of local and international football. Mostly, loves keeping an eye on the upcoming players, always trying to bring debate on youngsters’ potential of becoming the next big thing in the world of football and of, course writing some pieces about them.